Cheese & Bacon Scrolls
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
2 Bacon Rashers
2 cups (300g) Self-Raising Flour
1 tsp Salt
¾ cup (180ml) Milk
1/3 cup Tomato Paste
¾ cup Cheddar Cheese
1 tsp Mixed Italian Herbs
Extra Flour, for rolling
GLAD® Bake & Cooking® Paper
- Preheat oven to 180oC and line 2 baking trays with Glad Bake Paper.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. With the help of an adult, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the bacon. Cook bacon for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Chop butter into small cubes, ensuring that it does not melt. Sift flour and salt into a bowl, add cold butter and using fingertips rub butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add milk while stirring until the dough forms. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Roll dough into a 25cm x 30cm rectangle with the rolling pin.
- Spread tomato paste over the dough evenly with the palette knife, then sprinkle with Italian herbs, fried bacon and grated cheese.
- Lifting the dough from the edge closest to you and tightly roll the dough into a long sausage. With the help of an adult, cut into 10 even slices with a sharp knife.
- Line the baking trays with GLAD® Bake & Cooking® Paper, and place the scrolls on the trays. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven until golden brown.
For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon and add sautéed vegetables, like mushrooms, baby spinach, capsicum or even tinned sweet corn.
Recipe by Little Spoons Cookery for Kids