Passionfruit Custard Swirls
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
½ cup Milk
½ cup Thickened Cream
¼ tsp Vanilla Essence
2 Egg Yolks
½ tbspn Cornflour
¼ cup Caster Sugar
2 tbspns Passionfruit Pulp
2 cups Self-Raising Flour
2 tbspn Icing Sugar
½ cup Milk
¼ cup Icing Sugar
1 tbspn Passionfruit Pulp
GLAD® Bake & Cooking® Paper
- Custard: With the help of an adult, combine milk, cream and vanilla in a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes until hot, without allowing the mixture to boil. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Under adult supervision, very carefully pour the hot milk mixture over the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously to combine.
- Carefully pour mixture back into the saucepan and return to the stove over a low heat. Cook gently over a medium heat, ensuring that the custard does not boil, stirring constantly for 15-20 minutes and custard thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Take custard off the heat and set aside.
- Dough: place the flour, icing sugar, and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and continue to process until the dough begins to form.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to form a 25 x 35 cm rectangle. Transfer dough to a sheet of GLAD® Bake & Cooking® Paper.
- Mix the passionfruit pulp into the custard and spread with the custard mixture onto the dough.
- Starting with the closest end of the dough, roll up the mixture firmly to create a log. Trim the ends of the log and discard, and then slice the remaining dough evenly into 8 pieces.
- Arrange the slices, cut side up, side by side and just touching on the lined tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- While the swirls are cooking, make the passionfruit icing by placing icing sugar and passionfruit pulp in a bowl and stirring until combined.
- Remove scrolls from the oven, drizzle the icing over and serve warm.
To make these Chocolate Custard Swirls, simply omit the passionfruit pulp and add one tablespoon of cocoa powder to the custard mixture. Serve drizzled with melted chocolate.
Recipe by Little Spoons Cookery for Kids